Family Matters Law Group P.A.
Free Consultations on Family Law Cases : 866-593-0459

March 2017 Archives

Will you have to pay alimony when you get divorced?

Will I owe alimony? This is a question on the mind of many people who are considering making the decision to move forward with a divorce. Today, I had a call from a man who has been married for 20 years in a very unhappy marriage. Can he afford a divorce? That was his question. My answer was, the decision to get divorced or not, is not really a financial question.

Step Parent Adoptions in Florida

Our firm handles many step-parent adoptions each year. There are a surprising number of circumstances which make a Step-Parent Adoption the right decision for your family. Most of the time a step parent adoption occurs between the Step-Father of the child and the child, but not always, we do handle step-mother adoptions too. When a step-parent has played a significant role in a child's life and the other parent has had limited or no involvement then a step-parent adoption may be the right choice for you. Depending upon the legal relationship the other parent has with the child, they may need to be significantly involved in the process or not involved at all. Having the other parent's consent is helpful and will certainly make for an easier, quicker and cheaper process. One reason a parent my chose to consent to the Adoption is child support, if their involvement with the child is limited already allowing a step-parent to adopt the child will terminate their child support obligation. There are other reasons as well, mostly centered around the well-being of the child. While consent makes things easier, it is not required in many circumstances. If the other parent has been largely absent from the child's life then it is possible to terminate their rights and have a step parent adopt through a Court Order without the parent's consent. Consulting with an experienced attorney is critical in evaluating your adoption options. We are happy chat for free on a free phone consultation.

Name Changes in Florida

Whether you are looking to change your own name or your child's name, unless you are getting married or divorced, you are going to need to file Petition for a Name Change in Florida. While the forms are not overly difficult to find or to fill out, there are several of them and it is imperative that they be completed correctly. The complete process of changing your name from drafting the forms, to filing them, to background checks, setting hearings and drafting Final Judgement and getting certified copies can be more complicated than it appears. We are frequently hired by those who attempted a DIY name change to step in an assist in completing the process.

Email Us For A Response

Let Us Know How We Can Help Your Family

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Family Matters Law Group P.A.
6950 Cypress Rd.
Suite #107
Plantation, FL 33317

Toll Free: 866-593-0459
Phone: 954-601-3737
Plantation Law Office Map