Family Matters Law Group P.A.
Free Consultations on Family Law Cases : 866-593-0459

Child Support after a reduction in income or unemployment

If you lose your job in Florida and there is a child support order in place ordering you to pay child support, you MUST file for a modification of child support. If you do not file for a modification you will likely be held in contempt of Court for failure to pay and you will still owe the FULL amount due even if you were unemployed or earning less during that time. Child support is largely based on the income of the 2 parents, see our previous article for more information. So, by way of example, let's say you, as the Father are paying $800 / month in child support and that figure was Ordered by a Court at a time that you were earning $4000 / month. In November you lose your job - involuntarily, for now fault of your own.

Option 1: you just stop pay and do nothing. Then in June, you contact my office and say, now they've suspended my license or have a warrant for my arrest or suspended my passport and I need help. You will still owe $800 per month for that 8 month period (November - June) - that's $6400! And, to get your license back you will likely need to pay a lawyer $1500* AND come up with at least $1600 immediately.

Option 2: you contact an attorney in November, pay a lawyer $1500* and get an order suspending or abating child support. Child support get wither reduced or eliminated until you get a job.

* This is an estimated amount of an initial retainer for child support modification or abatement.

Child support can be tricky if your income is reduced or if you lose your job. Contact an attorney as soon as possible after a change in income for best results.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Let Us Know How We Can Help Your Family

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Family Matters Law Group P.A.
6950 Cypress Rd.
Suite #107
Plantation, FL 33317

Toll Free: 866-593-0459
Phone: 954-601-3737
Plantation Law Office Map