There are many ways to get divorced in Florida. To get divorced you need a marital settlement agreement (MSA) and a parenting plan or you need a final judgment (an Order from a judge which rules on all of the various aspects of a divorce). An MSA and parenting plan (if there are minor children) are the two documents that will need to be drafted and signed by the parties if they want agree to the terms of their divorce rather than making a Judge decide.
Examples of these documents are found on the Supreme Court website. As a result, many people trying to amicably end thir marriage choose to fill out their own "divorce packet". BAD IDEA. Even if you know the terms you'd like to have in your agreement, you can rest assured that you have not thought of everything. The one detail you leave out can turn what was an amicable departure into a nightmare - it can also turn what was a low cost divorce into a $10,000 modification. Hiring an attorney to walk you through the process, draft your agreements, make sure you've thought of everything and to make sure that your agreement actually says what you are trying to have it say is essential.
While there are many forms online for lawyer-free divorces many people find themselves somewhere in the process, lost, not knowing what to file next, how to set a hearing or what is ultimately required. 24 months later they are STILL not divorced.
What does an uncontested divorce with Solaris Law Group look like? Here are the steps:
1) Call for free consultation to discuss your needs and potential costs.
2) Come into to review our contract, make a payment and meet with your attorney to discuss you goals.
3) Get sent home with some simple homework.
4) Return the homework to our office via email, in person, of fax.
5) Wait on the first draft of your documents to get put together (about 1-2 weeks)
6) Review those documents and have either a phone or in person appointment to discuss any potential concerns, changes or questions.
7) Get the revised documents from your lawyer and either make further revisions or approve for us to send out.
8) Out firm send the packet with a letter to the other party.
9) The other party review the packet and if they approve, the sign and return to us.
10) You get divorced at a 5-minute final hearing which we coordinate with you and which you must attend about a week later.
If this process seems like something that might work for you - get started with a free consultation.